Schöpel (Oberhausmuseum Passau).
Copyright: Oberhausmuseum Passau
In castles, the armouries and storages often one with the surrounding castle walls, whose battlements run directly through the building. Like that, armaments could be moved from the armouries to the wall, where they were needed, as quickly as possible.
The storage in Tittmoning Castle probably served - as likewise in other castles - both as a granary and as an armoury and dates to 1428. The ground floor of the mighty tuff stone building with a hipped roof is divided by a central row of pillars and vaulted with three transverse barrels. The upper floors have two naves as well. On the first floor, brick pillars support the joist of the beamed ceiling, on the second and third floors they are oak stands. The windows are secured with window grids, originally surely also with shutters. The southern outer wall is identical with the surrounding wall of the castle complex with the battlement. It continues directly under the roof base of the storage and is separated from its third upper floor.
Almost at the same time as the Tittmoning storage, the armoury - which was also a storage - was erected in Burghausen Castle. An inscription plate on the northernmost pillar of the first upper floor states the year 1427. The three-storey, elongated rectangular building is situated in the second castle forecourt. The saddle roof was originally much steeper than shown in the Sandtner model of 1574 (Photo: Copy of the original model; Josef Dinges, 1932). The roof was modified in 1885. The windows are still barred. The shutters and external gates, which no longer exist, are still visible in the recesses in the masonry and in the iron cocks used to fasten the shutters.